My Photography

Sunday, February 8, 2015

A theatrical night out

Last night was one of the best nights out I had had in a while! My friend Elena and I went to the CADS (Casablanca Amateur Dramatic Society) performance of "The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society production of: "A Murder Mystery'". 



The cast of just five (including my choir buddy Madeleine!) played upwards of fifteen characters, and the play-within-a-play shtick led to some absolute hilarity. Each cast member played an actress of The Farndale Avenue Housing Estate Townswomen's Guild Dramatic Society who had various levels of acting ability. Joining the four ladies of the Society was a male member of the production crew standing in for an actress who had an unfortunate accident the day before when a piece of the set fell on her. He was so awkward and monotone the entire time, which contrasted sharply with the over-enthusiastic ladies.



I won't go into the details of the play but according to the program the two authors based it off of one of their mother's dramatic society in the mid 1900s who produced "shows with women playing men's parts, and doing it dreadfully. But throughout it all was the fun and drive they had, no matter what problem beset them". Through set malfunctions, broken and missing props, entire pages missed of the script and a sound and light board going haywire, the women stayed true to their vision and powered on through their production. It's enough to say that CADS did an amazing job at recreating that atmosphere, and had the entire, very multinational audience roaring with laughter throughout.



I bumped into lots of people I know there and thoroughly enjoyed my girls night out with Elena. I know it's a good night when I get a mild asthma attack from laughing too much! Well done CADS, especially Madeleine and producer/director Robert who I've had the pleasure of working with at BC, and thank you all for a lovely night!


No comments:

Post a Comment