My Photography

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Oat pancakes

These little guys have been a staple in my diet for about 6 months now, and it's rather a surprise I haven't blogged about them yet. When I'm craving a bread-like thing that I can hold in my hands and bite into, these pancakes are perfect. They can be savory or sweet and they're SO easy to make. They served as my lunch this spring a bit more often than I'd like to admit!

I originally got the recipe from the back of a oatmeal package that Othman's cousin got for me during our Christmas in France. I hadn't been eating oats since they're not GAPS but since she had bought them for me I decided to see if I could re-introduce them to my diet, and was thrilled when the result was successful! I adapted the recipe a bit into what's below.

This morning I ran out of coconut milk and was poking around in the fridge and saw some organic raspberry jam, and a big ole craving hit. I can't eat bagels or toast, but oat pancakes? Sure why not! So without further ado:


Easy Oat Pancakes (Wheat-, lactose-, nut-, sugar- free)
(This makes a good size lunch/brunch/breakfast for one person)

Ingredients:
-2 big tablespoons of plain yogurt
-1 egg
-2 tablespoons oat flour (just take oats and ground them up in a food processor or coffee grinder for 10 seconds or so)
-another tablespoon whole oats for texture
-pinch of salt
-if sweet think about adding: a teaspoon honey/sugar, vanilla extract, cardamom (my favorite spice in these), cinnamon, berries, bits of peaches/apple... whatever you want
-if savory: olive bits, a bit of shredded cheese, oregano... be creative!

Beat the yogurt and egg with a fork until homogeneous. Add the oats, it should be lumpy and have a similar texture to oatmeal. Add whatever spices you want.

To fry, put a generous amount of coconut oil on a skillet and wait till it's HOT. Test with a tiny piece of batter to see if it sizzles immediately. If so, it's good. You don't want it to burn but they'll  be impossible to flip if the skillet isn't hot enough when you put them on.

Make small pancakes by flattening out lumps of batter, and let cook for 2 minutes or so. Flip and let cook for 1 more minute. I like putting a lot of coconut oil so they almost fry in it, but that's just me. 

Enjoy with jam, honey, peanut butter, or use as wheat-free sandwich ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment