My Photography

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Heaven in a pie

Do you like coconut? How about chocolate? Do you like chocolate and coconut in your desserts? Do you like chocolate/coconut desserts that are decadent but don't make you feel horrible for eating them? Do you chocolate/coconut desserts that are decadent, healthy AND easy to make?? Finally, does this look good??



I hope you answered yes to all of those. If you didn't, this post isn't for you.


Chocolate coconut pie

Crust:
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups +/- unsweetened shredded coconut (Can be sweetened if that's REALLY all there is, but it makes the whole thing way too sweet in my opinion. Also, the smaller the flakes are, the better.)
- Honey/sugar to taste
- Pinch of salt
- A bit of vanilla extract


Filling:
- 2 egg yolks (See what I did there??)
- 1 bar unsweetened or semisweet baking chocolate
- A nice big splash of vanilla extract
honey/sugar to taste if unsweetened
- 1 cup coconut milk (This is about a half a can, NOT a whole one— if you put that much it’ll be a gloopy mess. Trust me on that one.)
 
For the crust, mix all ingredients together, and it should be slightly sticky. Press the mixture with your fingers to the bottom of a well-oiled pie pan, leaving a small edge all around the pan. Bake for roughly 15 minutes at 350°F, until edges and top are slightly browned.

Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients in a small saucepan and melt on low heat, mixing constantly.

Once crust is out, let cool a couple of minutes, then add the chocolate filling on top. Let cool, once it’s about room temperature put it in the fridge until it’s time to eat.

I’m sure you could put whipped cream or raspberry sauce or something on the finished product and it would be lovely, but it’s so delicious I’ve never craved anything extra.

These pics are from when I made this for approximately the ten thousandth time, but was at home this past summer and actually thought about photographing it. The ingredients I use in Casablanca are slightly different, but whether American or Moroccan made, it's still so so good. I make this every year to take to work on my birthday and people talk about it all year long. THAT'S how good it is. (Othman just looked at this as I finished it up, and his comment was: "What, you're only posting that now?" Because it really is my favorite thing in the world.) So do yourself a favor and make it yourself you won't regret it.



No comments:

Post a Comment