My Photography

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Coconut fish!

In my last post I mentioned how I recently made my mom's delicious coconut fish. This recipe is a tried and true favorite especially for guests. Othman's parents loved it when they dined at our place last! The combinations are endless-- my recipe is very different from the original one of my mom's, but here's how I generally make it.



Ingredients:

-2 filets of fish (fresh or frozen but something white with a light taste)
-2-3 leeks (or one onion), chopped finely
-2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
-a bunch of fresh button mushrooms, peeled and diced
-1 can coconut milk
-salt and pepper
-fresh herbs (I used parsley, cilantro and dill)

In a large saucepan or extra large high-sided skillet, saute the leeks with the garlic in olive oil. Stir frequently so that the leeks don't burn. When slightly translucent and fragrant add mushrooms and saute until they've shrunk a bit. Add coconut milk, salt, and pepper, and gently place fish filets side by side. Do not stir. Turn to medium-low and cover lightly. Do not stir. Let cook for 20 minutes or until fish is cooked and falls apart easily. Remove from heat and throw fresh herbs on top. Serve over rice. 

I haven't really found a GAPS-friendly alternative to the rice, since this is very sauce-y, and since I don't have a problem with rice I haven't tried too hard. Definitely let me know in the comments if you find a good substitute.

My mom's recipe involves chopped tomatoes, and zucchini is wonderful as well. It's really just the onion/leeks and the coconut milk that are necessary. She even changes the fish for chicken pieces sometimes! One way or another, it's an easy and delicious dinner that's worth a try!

2 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I was actually wondering which dish to make with fish tonight, looks like I have all the right ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete